In the ever-changing writing world, the digital world has given writers new ways to share their stories with people worldwide. Amazon Kindle Direct Publishing (KDP) is an innovative tool that lets writers turn their words into e-books and paperbacks that can be read worldwide.
If you want to be a writer but don’t know how to get started in the fast-paced world of self-publishing, Amazon KDP is a great place to start.
This complete guide will help you find your way through the complicated world of Kindle Direct Publishing. We will walk you through every step of the process, from editing your text to sharing your work, to make sure that your writing goals are met most effectively and smoothly.
With Amazon, you can share your work on your own and meet with a wide range of viewers looking for new stories.
How to Publish On Amazon KDP:
Technically, like Urban Book Publishers, you can print their book on Amazon, but that doesn’t mean it will sell well. You need to know how to set up your KDP account and how much your Kindle eBook costs.
If you do it right, you can expect a good start. If you do this with more than one book, you might even be able to make a living by writing books.
Here are the steps we took to post on Amazon by ourselves.
1- Set Up an Account On (KDP):
Before posting on Amazon KDP, you must set up an account with them.
- Here’s how to set up your account with Kindle Direct Publishing:
- Go to https://kdp.amazon.com and sign up with your email address or Amazon account.
- Next, click “Update” in your account information and fill out your tax details. It’s important to remember that you need to fill out your tax details BEFORE you can print your first book. Don’t leave this step out!
- Once you’ve filled out your tax information, click “Finished” to return to the main page.
2- Choose The Title and Subtitle Of A Book:
You must put your book’s title and description on your Kindle Direct Publishing page. Even though a tagline isn’t required, you should write a good one to get more views, build more interest, and help people find your book when they search.
Here are a few tips for making a great title for a book:
- Use a “hook”: Your book hook should speak to the reader in a unique way that gets their attention and fits with what they are looking for.
- Write down the pros: People who might read your book want to know what they will get from it. One way to do this is to list the perks in the introduction, giving just enough information to make people want to read more.
- Think about what would make you want to read a book. Keep it clear, easy, and your own. Therefore, research the title you want to use and ensure a popular book hasn’t already taken it.
3- Write A Description of Your Book For Amazon:
If you want people to buy your book, you need to tell them what it’s about excitingly. Self-publishing on Amazon KDP takes more signs than you might think at first. Even though the cover and caption should do an excellent job of this, we all want more information when it comes to spending money on something.
Here are the first things people notice about a new book:
- Title, Cover, and Summary of the Book
- A description is a short story you write to show what your book is about. Therefore, it should be written like a sales page to get your reader’s attention. Amazon is very good at showing people things that are important to them based on what they have done in the past.
This is important because the description is often the last thing a reader looks at before deciding whether or not to read your book. That, and it had great reviews on Amazon.
A good blurb can almost sell a book if it is done correctly.
Here are some tips that will help you write the right description:
- Make the first line as appealing as you can.
- Write your book’s description like a sales page or ad, not a dry synopsis.
- Make the statement sound personal and caring.
- Explain what the reader will get out of reading your book.
4- Select Amazon Keywords:
You’ll need the right mix of buzzwords for Amazon KDP and Google search engines to find your book. Amazon only lets each book have seven terms, so choosing keywords takes some planning.
But what are keywords?
Keywords are words or sentences that tell people what your book is about. If someone wanted to find a book about your topic, they might type one of those things into Amazon or Google. This not only gets you the people you want, but it also helps you get the right kind of attention.
5- Choose the Amazon categories:
There are many categories and subcategories to choose from on Amazon KDP. Your goal is to find popular places that don’t have much competition, just like when you choose keywords.
You will rank as a best-seller in these categories. So, you want to make sure you choose detailed but not too competitive categories. You want to be different. Still, these have to fit with what you were trying to say in your book.
On the first page of each group, you can also see how the top three books rank.
Here are some tips for getting your book to rank in more areas when you put it on Amazon:
- Find out what buzzwords your rivals are using.
- Choose areas that are popular and have less competition.
- Get more areas by contacting Amazon and asking for phrase placement.
6- Make A Cover for Your Book:
People rate a book by its cover, even though we were told not to when we were kids. It’s one of the biggest reasons why people don’t do it.
The first thing people will notice about your book is its cover.
7- Cost Your Book:
“How should I price my book after the initial launch?” is a question that often comes up.
This is up to the author, but between $2.99 and $9.99 is usually the best price range for a book. The royalties change by country, but you can find out more on the KDP Select price page.
One popular way for new authors to start is to set the price of their book at $2.99 and slowly raise it by $1 per week. Your sales will start to go down at some point. Even though that’s usually a bad figure, it tells you with certainty the right price for your book to ensure you make a profit.
As you explore the many options that Amazon KDP gives you, remember that your words could inspire, entertain, and improve the lives of people worldwide. With this guide, you’ve opened the door to a world of self-publishing where you can be as creative as you want. As you start your publishing path, may your stories find their way into readers’ minds. Also, may the memory of your literary work be woven into the digital fabric of the modern publishing world.